The design chain constitutes all those players involved in the product development process or Product Development Life-Cycle (PDLC). These chains have increasing numbers of disparate groups, because they provide risk and cost sharing, opportunities for global product marketing & sales, and outsourcing of business activities to take advantage of new expertise, lower costs or other business drivers. Collaboration during product development is highly critical and particularly important for SMEs and MNCs in Singapore who need to enhance and extend their product development capabilities regionally and internationally.
The aim of this project is to focus on the initial portion of the PDLC, containing commercial bidding for product development contracts, specification development and conceptual design. The focus of many initiatives is on the problems faced by large, top tier manufacturers, whereas this project deals primarily with SMEs, since they are a vital supporting pillar of manufacturing industry in Singapore. Early stages of new product development process involve both technical activities, e.g. product platform definition, and commercial activities, e.g. bidding for contract. This work introduces a customer-oriented collaborative design and bidding system (C2DBS) to help SMEs coordinate the two aspects. The figure below illustrates a web-based framework of C2DBS.
- Yan, W., M.C. Pritchard, C.-H. Chen and L.P. Khoo. (2006). “A Study of Bidding-oriented Collaborative Product Conceptualization,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 19(2), 161-177.
- Yan, W., M.C. Pritchard, C.-H. Chen and L.P. Khoo. (2006). “A Strategy for Integrating Product Conceptualization and Bid Preparation,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 29(5), 616-628.
- Pritchard, M.C., A.P. Soma, C.-H. Chen. (2006). “A Streamlined Design for Quality Tool for Product Embodiment,” In Proc. of the 7th Asia-Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference, APIEMS-2006, pp. 658-669, Bangkok, Thailand, December 17-20, 2006.
- Yan, W., C.-H. Chen, Y. Huang and W. Mi. (2008). “An Integration of Bidding-oriented Product Conceptualization and Supply Chain Formation,” Computers in Industry, 59(2-3), 128-144.
- Yan, W., C.-H. Chen, Y. Huang and W. Mi. (2009). “A Data Mining Approach for Product Conceptualization in a Web-based Architecture,” Computers in Industry, 60(1), 21-34.
- Yan, W., C.-H. Chen, D.F. Chang and Y.T. Chong. (2009). “A Stakeholder-oriented Innovative Product Conceptualization Strategy Based on Fuzzy Integrals,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, 23(2), 201-209.