- PhD Nanyang Technological University 2006
- MS (MechEng) Tsinghua University 2001
- BS (MechEng) Tsinghua University 1998
Dr. Zhou is an Associate Professor at the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. His research interests focus on micro/nano mechanics of materials and structures, novel computational methods for modeling material behavior, and sustainable energy and green technologies. He worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, USA from 2007 to 2010. He was a Visiting Scholar at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, USA in the summer of 2013.
He has published 11 book chapters and over 200 papers in refereed journals including Progress in Materials Science, Physical Review Letters, Advanced Materials, ACS Nano, JMPS, Acta Materialia, CMAME and IJNME. He serves as an Editor of Journal of Micromechanics and Molecular Physics, an Associate Editor of Mechanics Research Communications, and an Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Applied Mechanics, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Virtual and Physical Prototyping, Materials Physics and Mechanics, and Scientific Reports. He is also on the Elasticity Technical Committee of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
Material reliability and sustainability；contact mechanics and tribology；3D printing; first-principles calculation and atomistic simulation；synthesis, characterization and modeling of nanomaterials.
|Wear life characterization and enhancement for rails and wheels performance|
Wear of rails and wheels influences the running performance and service life of rail vehicles greatly. This project aims: (i) to develop a theoretical mechanics model for predicting and analyzing wear of rails and wheels and validate the model through experimental wear testing; (ii) to develop surface treatment and coating technology to increase wear resistance; (iii) to optimize the wear performance of rails and wheels through surface treatment and coating technology based on the theoretical model and experimental test.
|Modelling fracture initiation and arrest in weldments containing local brittle zones for maritime applications|
The existence of local brittle zones (LBZs) in carbon-manganese steel welds has caused great concern to the marine and offshore industries as their detrimental effect on material fracture toughness is not well understood. This project will assess fracture characteristics of multi-pass welds containing LBZs for failure prediction and prevention.
|Novel solar cells based on graphene-semiconductor heterojunction|
The project aims to develop efficient graphene-based heterojunction solar cells. The photovoltaic mechanisms of the graphene/semiconductor heterojunction, which is the most basic component of the solar cell, will be studied. This research will be of significant importance for the development of future renewable energy resources
Research Staff and Students under supervision
||Characterization and modeling of two-dimensional heterostructures for energy application |
||Process modeling and product reliability analysis for selective laser melting|
||Modelling and development of graphene-based thin films for water remediation |
- W. Zhang and K. Zhou*, Ultrathin two-dimensional nanostructured materials for highly efficient water oxidation. Small. pp. 1700806-1–18. 2017.
- J. Jin, N. Srikanth, L. B. Kong and K. Zhou*, Advances and challenges of nanostructured electrodes for Li-Se batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. Vol. 5, pp. 10110–10126. 2017.
- R.I. Babicheva, S.V. Dmitriev, D. V. Bachurin, N. Srikanth, Y. Zhang, S. W. Kok, K. Zhou*, Effect of grain boundary segregation of Co or Ti on cyclic deformation of aluminum bi-crystals. International Journal of Fatigue. Vol. 102, pp. 270–281. 2017.
- L. Bai, N. Srikanth, E. A. Korznikova, J. A. Baimova., S. V. Dmitriev and K. Zhou*, Wear and friction between smooth or rough diamond-like carbon films and diamond tips. Wear. Vol. 372-373, pp. 12-20. 2017.
- L. Bai, B. Liu, N. Srikanth, Y. Tian and K. Zhou*, Nano-friction behavior of phosphorene. Nanotechnology. Vol. 28, pp. 355704-1 -9. 2017.
- B. Zhao, F. Shen, Y. Cui, Y. B. Xie and K. Zhou*, Damage analysis for an elastic-plastic body in cylindrical contact with a rigid plane. Tribology International. Vol. 115, pp. 18–27. 2017.
- W. Zhai, N. Srikanth, L. B. Kong and K. Zhou*, Carbon nanomaterials in tribology. Carbon. Vol. 119, pp. 150–171. 2017.
- J. Yang and K. Zhou*, Analysis of the plastic zones of cracks in an elastic-perfectly plastic half-space under contact loading. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. Vol. 121, pp. 143–150. 2017.
- M. Dahanayaka, B. Liu, Z. Hu, Z. Chen, A.W.K. Law and K. Zhou*, Corrugated graphene layers for sea water desalination using capacitive deionizations. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Vol. 19, pp. 8552–8562. 2017.
- J. Yang and K. Zhou*, On elastic-plastic fracture behavior of a half-space under prescribed loading. International Journal of Applied Mechanics. Vol. 9, pp. 1750036-1–16. 2017.
- Materials Engineering
- Precision Manufacturing
- Materials Selection & Design
- Engineering Design
- Fundamental Engineering Materials
- Effects of Cutting Parameters on Surface Roughness of Turned Parts