- PhD Tohoku University 1989
- ME Tohoku University 1986
Dr. Zhong Z.W. is an Associate Professor in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. His Hirsch Index is more than 30. His research interests include Air Traffic Management, modelling, simulation and analyses, artificial intelligence and machines, optimization, advanced industrial informatics, data mining for decision making, unmanned aerial vehicles, automation and control, advanced metrology and sensing systems, mechatronics and design, optical engineering, sensors and actuators, finite element analyses, advanced manufacturing technologies, etc. He has supervised 16 PhD (10 graduated, 6 on-going), 7 MEng (7 graduated), 81 MSc Dissertation (81 graduated), and 232 Final Year (207 graduated, 25 on-going) projects.
He has over 20 years research and development experience in industry, research institutes and universities in Japan and Singapore. He worked at RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research) in Japan, and at Gintic Institute of Manufacturing Technology (now called Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology) in Singapore, before he joined the school of MAE in Nanyang Technological University. A number of journal and conference papers authored or co-authored by him received best paper awards. He has served the Editorial Boards for several international journals, conducted short courses/workshops, and served dozens of international conferences as international program committees, or keynote speakers in various countries.
Air Traffic Management; modelling, simulation and analyses; advanced industrial informatics; unmanned aerial vehicles; advanced manufacturing technologies
|Regional Airspace Capacity Enhancement – ASEAN pilot|
Use modelling / simulation tools to conduct analyses of airspace structure and traffic flows through the region and provide solutions for enhancement of capacity and efficiency
[ATMRI , Aerospace]
Research Students under supervision
||Asymmetric Liquid Wetting on Controllable Magnetic Micro-pillar Surfaces |
|Nguyen Nhu Y
||FEA and CMP for Manufacturing of Optical Components |
|Huynh Bao Huy
||To Optimize A Flow Induced Vibration Structure for Energy Harvesting Application |
|Shazarel Bin Shamsudin
||Hot Extrusion in Direct Recycling of Aluminium 6061 |
||ASEAN airspace chokepoints based on demand/capaciity analyses |
||Advanced Flip Chip and Wafer Level Packages for 2.5D and 3D IC Package Technology |
- Z.W. Zhong, X C Shan, A study of meniscus formation and its effect on roll-to-roll UV embossing, International Journal of Engineering Science 85 (2014) 10-19.
- K.B. Mustapha, Z.W. Zhong, A new modeling approach for the dynamics of a micro end mill in high-speed micro-cutting, Journal of Vibration and Control 19 (6) (2013) 901-923.
- K.Y. Chee, Z.W. Zhong, Control, navigation and collision avoidance for an unmanned aerial vehicle, Sensors and Actuators A-Physical 190 (2013) 66-76.
- K.B. Mustapha, Z.W. Zhong, A hybrid analytical model for the transverse vibration response of a micro-end mill, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 34 (1–2) (2013) 321-339.
- J.H. Chow, Z.W. Zhong, W. Lin, L.P. Khoo, An investigation of thermal contact conductance using the lumped parameter method, International Journal of Thermal Sciences 60 (2012) 114-121.
- Z.W. Zhong, X C Shan, Microstructure formation via roll-to-roll UV embossing using a flexible mould made from a laminated polymer–copper film, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 22 (8) (2012) 085010 (12pp) doi:10.1088/0960-1317/22/8/085010.
- J.H. Chow, Z.W. Zhong, W. Lin, L.P. Khoo, A study of thermal deformation in the carriage of a permanent magnet direct drive linear motor stage, Applied Thermal Engineering 48 (2012) 89-96.
- K.B. Mustapha, Z.W. Zhong, Wave propagation characteristics of a twisted micro scale beam, International Journal of Engineering Science 53 (2012) 46–57.
- K.B. Mustapha, Z.W. Zhong, Stability of single-walled carbon nanotubes and single-walled carbon nanocones under self-weight and an axial tip force, International Journal of Engineering Science 50 (1) (2012) 268-278.
- M.C.G. Lim, Z.W. Zhong, Dynamical behavior of copper atoms in a carbon nanotube channel, Carbon 49 (3) (2011) 996-1005.
- Z.W. Zhong, M.H. Leong, X.D. Liu, The wear rates and performance of three mold insert materials, Materials & Design 32 (2) (2011) 643-648.
- Z.W. Zhong, B. Song, M.B.M. Zaki, Life-cycle assessment of flash pyrolysis of wood waste, Journal of Cleaner Production 18 (12) (2010) 1177-1183.
- Control of Vibration
- Theroy of Mechanism
- Advanced Metrology & Sensing Systems
- Ultraprecision & Micromachining Processes
- Kinematics & Dynamics of Machinery